The Top Underwater Boat Lights Reviewed
If you want to give your boat a little extra visual appeal and a more modern look, then underwater boat lights might be just the thing that you’re looking for.
Not only do they have an aesthetic advantage to them, but they’re great for lighting up the boat and making it more visible when it’s parked up.
There are a range of things to consider when buying your lights. The best underwater boat lights tend to be LED, using little power to provide long-lasting bulbs.
You should also consider the ease of installation. Most lights require a hole to be drilled into the boat but come with the kit to help you do that, so that’s another feature worth keeping an eye out for.
The best underwater boat lights also need to be able to stay underwater without the material housing them corroding them over time.
We’re going to take installation, aesthetic appeal, reliability, and other factors into account, so let’s dive in and see which lights belong under your boat.
With these LED lights, you’re paying for quality. Not only in the clarity and brightness of the lights themselves but also the bronze alloy housing, which is widely considered to be amongst the most durable marine grade materials. As a result, these lights won’t corrode as quickly as some of their competitors and are likely to last well over the lifetime of the LED bulbs themselves.
Installation and control are both easy. The features available, strobe and cross-fade, can be operated with the flick of a single switch. There’s no complex wiring involved, you simply need to ensure that you drill holes of the right size so that the lights can fit snugly onto the underside of the boat.
- Highly powerful lights with various color options and programmable lighting controls like strobe and crossfade.
- Extremely resilient housing makes for a longer-lasting underwater boat light
- Easy to install and easy to use, meaning minimal fussing for you
- Up to 4000 Lumens, 12 volt DC to 24 volt DC (10-30 vDC)
- Marine grade bronze alloy housing
- Available Colors: White, Blue, Green, white/blue, with strobe and cross fade modes
- Transom mountable, small 1/2" through hole
The Jiawill lights lack some of the versatility of other options. They do have a dual color feature, but they have no strobe or crossfade features to note, but this is more than made up for by the sheer quality of their design. Even out of the water, they are light and attractive to look at. However, when attached, they are extremely low profile, standing no more than 17mm from the surface of the boat.
The quality goes beyond the aesthetic appeal of these lights, as well. Not only are they housed in marine grade stainless steel and a shatterproof polycarbonate lens, but these lights are also vibration resistant and shock resistant, making them incredibly durable. Bright, heavy-duty and with minimal visual disruption when they are turned off, they make for an elegant solution for your under boat lighting needs.
- Surface mount installation makes them easier to install than most competitors
- Low profile, meaning they don’t interrupt the profile of the boat or stand out when they’re not on.
- Highly durable thanks to marine grade steel and shatterproof lens, on top of being resistant to both vibrations and shocks.
- The vibration and shock resistant underwater boat light has a 316 marine grade stainless steel housing with a shatterproof polycarbonate lens.
- This boat light uses 6 Cree 10watt LEDs to produce white illumination or 12 Cree LEDs for red, green, or blue illumination,2853 lumens
- Exclusive over temperature protection ensures the light can operate above without damage,no external driver within a wide 9-32V DC range,there are fewer connections and devices to fail and less equipment to mount
- Super lower profile (17mm) and smaller footprint,diameter of light body is only 94mm
- Installation hardware is included for surface-mounting on a variety of transom types, or install on your boat's trim tab with a mounting bracket (sold separately).
Easy installation is guaranteed with two surface mount installation methods and a fuse kit that comes with every light that’s not difficult to attach and operate at all. They can be fitted at almost the lowest position of the boat at 3 inches over the very bottom, and each light offers up to 140 lumens of blue light. While it may not be quite as powerful as some of the other listed competitors, it creates a gorgeous glow. At its price range, you’re not likely to get anything more powerful than the AGPTEK lights.
While it doesn’t offer lighting as effective as the more expensive options, it still looks good and is useful for a variety of applications, such as night fishing and night swimming. Relatively high quality compared to other lights in the same price range so those who aren’t willing to pay for the most powerful of underwater LED lights still have an option to give their boat the glow they want.
- Shockproof, waterproof, and highly resilient housing for long-lasting LED lights
- Easy to install with two different installation methods
- Unique dark blue glow that adds its own aesthetic allure to your boat
- Made of high quality Marine grade Stainless Steel 316; Lumen:1400-1600Lm; Wattage: 36W; 12*LED
- Waterproof(IP68), Shake-proof, Energy-saving, Environment-friendly, with Marine Grade Wire
- Super-class high power LED which is encapsulated by high efficiency and latest heat disipation structure.
- Working Voltage: DC8-28Vwith outside driver; Beam Angle: 30º; LED Life Time: 30000hrs; Working current:2000mA; Size of package: 27x23x9cm
- "Packing including: 1* Martine underwater light; 1* Fuse kit; 1* Power regulator "
The marine grade anodized aluminum housing might not be quite to the same standard as the more expensive bronze alloy available from the SeaBlazeX, but is still resilient enough to provide the protection necessary, with every product through 2000 continuous hours of salt spray testing to ensure their anti-corrosive ability.
Larger yachts may need slightly more powerful lighting, but the SeaBlaze3 LED lights still provide all the visibility a smaller boat could need with no more than two needed to create the ambient glow, available in white, blue, green, and dual-color white/blue. For a slightly cheaper, mid-range option that’s still more powerful than the AGPTEK lights, these are a highly recommendable choice.
- Easy-to-control with crossfade and dimmable, allowing for a little more versatility and lighting customization
- Anodized aluminum housing provides cheaper, yet still highly effective protection for the lights
- Lots of color options offer effective lighting that allows you to decide what kind of appeal you want to give your boat
- 1729 lumens, 12 volt DC to 24 volt DC, 10 - 30v DC
- Marine grade anodized aluminum housing
- Dimmable, no external controllers required
- Transom mountable with only a small 1/2 inch through-hull hole
- 2.4 Amps at 12v DC, 1.1 Amps at 24v DC
They may not be quite as compact and low profile as some of the more expensive options, but Pactrade Marine Bright underwater LED lights are still designed with quality in mind. They have a corrosion-resistant marine grade stainless steel housing, with a low heat emitting light that ensures it can withstand the harsh conditions of the water with very little power use.
Installation is relatively simple. Though not as easy as the surface mounted options, these lights only require a small hole to be drilled, through which they are connected to a separate, provided wiring box.
While they may not have the dazzling effect of more powerful lights, they still bring their own visual appeal, which is much more appreciable when you’re out on the water. What’s more, they’re effective for attracting marine creatures when night fishing and improve safety during night activities like swimming, loading, and docking. They may not be quite as impressive as the other products reviewed here, but they very much do the job for those who need less expensive lights for a smaller boat.
- Budget-friendly option that’s better for small boats
- Good at attracting fish for night fishing
- Provide lighting and safety for nocturnal boating activities
- Material: Stainless steel 316
- Housing color: Stainless steel
- Led color: Blue
- Working voltage: 10-30 vdc
- Size: 137.5 mm (l) x 68 mm (w) x 24.3 mm (thick)
Underwater Boat Lights Video
If you’re thinking of adding a set of underwater lights to dress up your boat but have never installed a set before, here is a short YouTube video demonstrating the process:
Underwater boat lights add a whole new level of class and visibility to your boat, but they aren’t cheap. While some options are more expensive than others, it’s worth investing in quality not just for the quality and versatility of its lighting options, but also because these are the lights that will stand the test of time and won’t need a replacement too soon.